"A Morris Arboretum History: From Private Estate to Public Garden"
presented by Mr. Robert Gutowski - See below
A Morris Arboretum History:
From Private Estate
to Public Garden
Mr. Robert Gutowski
Director, Public Programs -
of the University of Pennsylvania
Thursday, May 16th, 2013
First Presbyterian Church
Bethlehem Pike and East Mill Road in Flourtown, PA
The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania, located on Northwestern Avenue in Chestnut Hill, is an internationally known 92-acre historic landscape with beautiful gardens and architecture right in our own backyard. Their renowned collection of trees and plants from around the world are maintained and displayed in a setting that encourages learning, fun and relaxation. This spring, as in every season, the Arboretum offers events and tours for the public to enjoy. While many local residents have visited these gardens or support it as members, most know little about its creation, what it once looked like, or why it is here.
Join us as the Arboretum's Director of Public Programs, Bob Gutowski, shares his insights, images, and stories of the people, places, and times that shaped the Arboretum from the days of William Penn to today. Bob is a township resident and former STHS board member. He has over 25 years of service at the Arboretum where he established the Archive and History program. He is currently engaged with the Run of the Mill Volunteers, restoring the historic Springfield Mill to operating condition.
The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania began in 1887 as "Compton," the summer home of John and Lydia Morris, brother and sister. The I.P. Morris Company, an iron manufacturing firm founded by their father and later run by John Morris, was a source of family wealth. The land the Morrises purchased in Chestnut Hill was barren, with poor soil that drained too quickly; but with diligent care they surrounded their home with a landscape and plant collection devoted to beauty and knowledge. John and Lydia Morris laid plans for a school and laboratory at Compton devoted to horticulture and botany. Through the stewardship and vision of the Quaker family, Compton became the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania in 1932. Listed on The National Register of Historic Places, it is an interdisciplinary resource center for the University, and is recognized as the official arboretum of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Please join us on May 16th to find out more about
this historical landmark and garden. The program
is free and open to the public. Reservations are not
required. Also, immediately following the presentation,
we will be raffling off prizes generously donated by the
Morris Arboretum, including a family membership.
Light refreshments will be served.
To learn more about the arboretum
visit Morris Arboretum at
For more information call 215-233-4600
Note: For more information and updates about the
BLACK HORSE INN