Tall case clock
This clock was built by Joseph H. Jackson, a resident and clockmaker in Flourtown from 1805 to 1810. He came from Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England in 1801. First settling in Germantown, he trained there and then moved to Springfield Township to set up his own business. We only know about three of his clocks, ours being the only one currently running and on display. In 1810, Mr. Jackson married and moved to Pumpkintown, a section of of Chestnut Hill near Bells Mill road. In 1817, he moved to Delaware taking up farming and clock repair, having been forced out of clock making by stiff competition.
The donors, are descendants of the Haas and Lesseig families. Fredrick Haus first appears in the Springfield tax records in 1803, shortly before Mr. Jackson, in 1805.
Generously donated by Susan Lesseig France and Karen Lesseig Snyder.
Generously donated by Montgomery Newspapers.
The Sunnybrook Sun which became The Springfield Sun and The Colonial dating from the 1940s through the 1990s. The Sunnybrook Sun took its name from the Sunnybrook Country Club which was the course now known as the Flourtown Country Club. These newspapers will undoubtedly prove useful to future generations of researchers interested in local history.